Prior notification of a transaction under the Telecommunications Mergers and Acquisitions Regulation
TRA reference LAD/1217/274 – Kalaam Telecom Bahrain B.S.C and Gulf Electronic Tawasul Company
1. On 6 December 2017, the Telecommunications Regulator Authority (“the Authority”) received a notification of a proposed transaction pursuant to Article 2 of the Telecommunications Mergers and Acquisitions Regulation (“the Regulation”) Under the proposed transaction, Kalaam Telecom Bahrain B.S.C (“Kalaam”) acquire, within the meaning of Article 1.2(b) of the Regulation, 100% shareholding of Gulf Electronic Tawasul Company (“Tawasul”).
2. The Parties to the transaction are involved in the following activities:
a. Kalaam: a Licensed Operator providing voice, internet, data and value added services to business customers; Acquiring Party
b. Tawasul: a licensed information and communications technology solution provider; Acquired Party
3. The parties to the transaction hold the following telecommunications licenses:
a. Kalaam: Individual License for National Fixed Services; Class License for Internet Services; Class License for Value Added Services; and Individual License for International Telecommunications Services.
b. Tawasul: Individual License for International Telecommunications Services.
4. On preliminary examination, the Authority finds that the notified transaction could fall within the scope Article 1 of the Regulation. However, the final decision on this point is reserved.
5. The Authority invites interested third parties to submit their comments on the proposed transaction to the Authority, along with supporting documentation and/or evidence (if any). The Authority reminds interested third parties that according to Article 4 of the Regulation in order to determine whether or not the proposed transaction raises serious doubts, the Authority needs to apply a substantive test to assess whether the proposed transaction has, or is likely to
have the effect of substantially lessening competition in a market within or affecting a telecommunications market in Bahrain.
6. Comments should be submitted to the Authority no later than fourteen (14) calendar days from the date of this announcement. Comments may be sent to the Authority with the reference number LAD/1217/274 to the following address:
Legal Affairs Directorate
Telecommunications Regulatory Authority
P.O. Box 10353
Kingdom of Bahrain
Back to Listing